It Was A Dark and Stormy Night

The tree branches shake in the wind, chattering with cold as the sky lies darkened with clouds, covering the earth like the soft wool of a sheep. The clouds part for a moment, opening a gap for the moon to shine though, a claw that scrapes the sky. The moon casts a dim glow on the earth, pale and dark compared to the sun that shines so bright during the day. A rumble of thunder sounds in the distance, loud and intimidating, reminding you that you do not have much time left. A bag bumps at your side, thumping on your legs as you walk down the wide street. Jack-O-Lanterns lie on doorsteps, and glow in the dark, eyes shining. Their candles flicker and shake, the light bouncing around the pumpkins like a bouncy ball. You can see pumpkins and ghosts and bats. Chouruses of “Trick or Treat!” ring through the air. You look down at your own bag, almost filled to the brim with Snickers, M&M’s, Twix and Hershey’s. A content happiness fills you, bringing you good spirits.

It is almost the holiday of the season, Halloween! Time for everyone to come up with costume ideas and to carve their pumpkins. It is time for everyone to decorate their yard with spiderwebs, scarecrows, and witches. It is time for you to make pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie, or cook pumpkin seeds. Everyone is bubbling with energy for this annual, exiting holiday. October 31st couldn’t be any closer.

Stuck on a costume idea? Some cool ideas would be a candy corn, cotton candy, a character from your favorite T.V. show, or popcorn. Group ideas can include ice cream, M&M’s, and different kinds of candies. Looking to do a costume with a friend? You could be a pencil and a pencil sharpener, ketchup and mustard, salt and pepper, happy and sad, and toast and butter. Or you could just be the same costume as last year!

Hope to see you Trick or Treating!

5 thoughts on “It Was A Dark and Stormy Night

1. Yes! You have finally got me in the mood for Halloween. It’s easy to forget that it’s fall as the temperatures climb into the 80’s, but your story makes me think of cold, crisp days and falling leaves. My favorite season. Excellent word choice. I especially love the image you create with “covering the earth like the soft wool of sheep”.

I am suddenly feeling the need for a spooky story challenge!